Are you preparing to make a move? With all the excitement, it’s easy to forget some important tasks. And of course, some things are best done when your unit is vacant, long before your boxes and furniture are parked in your next home. Put these things off, and it becomes all the harder to tackle them later.
So before you move—or in case you have moved and are wondering how many of these you hit—check out this moving checklist to know what should be done long before you settle in.
Relocating? I’ve compiled a list of the important to-dos to take care of before and after you settle into your amazing new digs.
1 MONTH PRIOR TO MOVE
- Change your address with the post office.
- Change your address with the CRA. Hire a moving company or rent a moving vehicle.
- Transfer or get copies of medical records (and school records if you have children).
- Get referrals from your current doctor for new doctors in the neighbourhood you’ll be moving to.
- Update your insurance policies (home, auto, and so on).
- Check with your insurance company to see if your belongings are covered during the move.
- Cancel your plans with cable, telephone, newspaper, and home security companies.
- Change your address with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and creditors.
2 WEEKS PRIOR TO MOVE
- Cancel utility services for the day after your move date.
- Purchase packing supplies (boxes, tape, markers, and so on).
- Make travel arrangements on moving day and any special arrangements for small children and/or pets.
- Start packing, boxing items systematically and labeling them accordingly.
- If you can, type out a list of what general items are in each box so you have a master list.
- Set aside items you will need immediately and make a note to load this box last.
1 WEEK PRIOR TO MOVE
- Confirm reservation with moving company or rental truck company.
- Gather and set aside important documents (don’t pack these – carry them with you during the move).
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Close/transfer bank accounts (if switching banks) and order cheques with your new address.
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, neighbours, organizations, and so on.
- Return items that don’t belong to you (movies, books, and so on). Clean! (appliances, carpet, walls, and so on)
DAY BEFORE MOVE
- Take out cash to give as tips to the movers (if you hired).
- Buy bottles of water for you and anyone helping you.
- Pack the last of your items and leave out one small suitcase for your pyjamas and toiletries.
- Supervise movers (if you hired) and confirm final details (address, delivery time, and so on).
- Arrive at your new home before the movers do.
- Let a friend or family member know your travel plans.
AFTER YOU’VE MOVED
- Change your address with Service Ontario – update driver’s license and plates (if moving out of province).
- Allow about two weeks for arrival.
- Change your address with your employer.
If you want to buy or sell a Toronto condo or loft, contact Casey Ragan at 416-486-5588 or by email at email@example.com
“Toronto’s Condo Authority”